Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bangalore, Madras and me

I knew my new job would entail travelling and honestly its one thing I enjoy doing in life...

I love exploring new cities, new cuisines, new kinds of people and this country is so fabulous and so large that every city greets you differently...

I spent some time in Bangalore last week - a city I love because of my friends that live there...

I am always welcomed so warmly with people opening up their homes and hearts to me...

I left Bangalore to go to Chennai (formerly known as Madras) - a city that I have not been to in many years

Also a city that I don't have any friends in (well maybe one but I haven't seen him in over 4 years and I found out he was living there after I landed)

I was apprehensive about Chennai and what it would offer me

I knew I had loads of work to accomplish while I was there and decided to concentrate on that

Never would I have realised what this wonderful city had in store for me

Chennai welcomed me with rain and loads of traffic - fun eh

But what was more is that Chennai gave me the opportunity to make a new friend

A friend that managed to read me like an open book

We were talking over drinks at the Madras Club when this friend just looked at me and said "You must be a number 8"

I have no idea what numbers I am but turns out I am a number 8 and 9

"He sang as if he knew me
In all my dark despair
(And then he looked right through me
As if I wasn't there) - not true
And he just kept on singing
Singing clear and strong
Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life
With his words
Killing me softly
With his song"