Wednesday, July 12, 2006

BOMB-ay

Thank you for your kind wishes - seriously

I came home really really late last night after the horrific evening we witnessed

As a city, we have grown accustomed to living with constant riots or terrorism from time to time and the thing that I love most about this city is the courage with which it stands back up on its feet and jumps right back into the game

Nevertheless, during the horrific bombings of 1992 I was standing at Marine Drive eating ice-cream when I heard and saw black clouds of smoke from the Bombay Stock Exchange and Air India Building...Not pretty sight

A few years ago I was driving to a client meeting in the same area when the bombs went off at the Gateway of India

But yesterday was different

I was in the safety nest of my office in a meeting when a friend frantically started calling. I knew it was frantic when even after cutting her call she kept calling back

The first train that got bombed was at the station closest to my office

I ran to the television and there it was - ten minutes earlier

Another train had been bombed along the same rail line

And another

Oh My God

My mother was on a train - not a local but an out-station train coming back from Pune but on a train none the less

Telephone lines were jammed

I could not get through

Another bomb on the news on another train

I finally got through to my mother

She was on the train inching her way into the city - scheduled to arrive in 30 minutes

Another bomb on another train

Another skipped heart beat

My mothers train finally made it to the station and there was a total of 7 blasts

7 blasts too close to home

All in areas frequented by my friends and family

In an area that I go to work every single day

In an area that I am going right back to as soon as I press 'Publish Post'

Thank you for caring...