Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Men and flowers

My phone rang today and I was thrilled to see the name blinking away

A name I had not seen in ages

So I answered the phone and before even saying hello said

"You're late. Valentines day was last week"

And he laughed

He always did and still does

And his laughing made me laugh too

A very very contagious laughter

People around me started to starre at me hearing me laugh from the bottom of my heart

"Valentines day is whenever I hear your voice" he said

And we laughed some more

And people continued to stare

I dated him years ago for a very short time

But remained friends

Though not the everyday kind of friends

The kind of friends that when he heard my grandmother passed away and I was alone, drove over an hour to come and see me and sit with me at 11 pm till I ate and calmed down

We had a lovely conversation

Laughed

Updated each other on our lives

Promised to meet soon (we always plan but never do)

And then the call was over

And I remembered

This was the same man that never believed in giving me flowers

He never did

What he did instead was give me a beautiful crystal vase

With a message

"I will never buy you or give you flowers. But whenever anyone else does, you will put them in this vase and think of me"

And the truth is,

Its true

Labels: , , , ,