Sunday, January 15, 2006

What a great sense of humour!!!

I was walking down 'Colaba Causeway' yesterday.

Its a quaint street tucked away at the southern most tip of Bombay city.

Filled with toursits, arab men, street vendors, drug addicts and of course the local bombayites.
It had been ages since I had done the whole walk right from the heritage cinema - Regal - now playing 'Wedding crashers' right upto the fabulously located Bombay Presidency Radio club - the only club in Bombay with a pier that faces the famous Gateway of India and the coveted Taj Mahal hotel.

I walked up and down the streets looking at the new 'brand stores' such as Levis, Pepe, Benetton, Adidas, Rbk, Nike that were slowly but steadilly putting the local stores out of business...Sad but true...

While walking down the street, I stopped to stare at the wares being sold on the sidewalk.

Colourful beaded bags, long sequinced skirts flittering in the wind, shiny bangles in every colour imaginable...

And then I saw the shoe shop...

And I tore myelf away...

I reached the fairly newly opened "Theobroma" - food of the Gods as they called it...

I walked in...looked at the freshly baked croissants, bread, cake, pastry and the oh so famous walnut brownies...

It smelt divine...

But it wasn't calling out to me as much as it should have.

I walked out and walked straight toward a tiny shop a few metres away.

The authentic 'Tibbs Frankie' smell lured me there...the smell of the fresh chicken curry being cooked on an egg naan was too much to resist...

I went in to pay the old manager sitting on a rickety stool...

I looked up and I laughed at the sign board...




What a great sense of humour...

What say?