Monday, May 07, 2007

"Moment"

Each day I live
I want to be
A day to give
The best of me
I'm only one
But not alone
My finest day
Is yet unknown

Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
~ Whitney Houston

This is probably my first memory of the word 'Moment'
Or maybe its the only lingering memory I have of the word

I never gave the word 'Moment' much thought
I never really felt the need to...

But the last 48 hours have made me realise the importance of a moment and what it does to you

Picture this
One moment 2 months ago I hired a girl
One memorable moment we became friends over sushi and a bottle of red
One moment I convinced her to come party with me in another city over the weekend gone by
One memorable moment she called me to say she was on her way (I left earlier that morning)
That same moment I was watching CNN
The same moment breaking news informed me of a Kenyan Airways flight that went missing

MISSING? How does a plane go missing? I can't fathom that

I didn't give it much thought but the lingering irritation of the plane missing didn't leave my mindspace

A few hours later...
She shows up and we pop open a bottle of beer
I run out to run some errands
I wonder about the missing aircraft and wonder if its found and decide not to think about it
I get driven around the city running my errands, looking at all the new construction and think to myself how much the city has changed

My phone rings
I answer it

"Come back to the hotel, there's a problem" says another friend

I coaxed the friend for the information and there it was reeling in my head like a ton of bricks had hit me hard

"Her cousin was on the Kenyan airways flight that went missing"

B L A N K

S T U N N E D

S H O C K

H O R R O R

Its been 48 hours and the moment finally came when they found the wreckage and the moment of the call
"They're pulling out bodies...The hope is over"

Moment

One moment alive, the next dead

Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel I will feel eternity

Labels: , , ,