Friday, December 09, 2005

The Girl Woman

“Girl, you’ll be a woman soon”
The voice resonated through my computer speakers and lingered on my lips the rest of the day. I found myself imitating the low pitch of his voice. It got me thinking. How old is this girl that will turn into a woman soon?
Is there actually an age that this so called transition happens? Is it 12? 15? 18? 21?

What is this magical age? Maybe it isn’t an age but a biological change?!?!? It got me thinking further.

Am I a girl or a woman? Is being a woman purely an age defined criteria? Just because I am 29 I am a woman? Or am I a young lady?

ARGH.

I’m still a baby when I cry.

I’m a baby when I get home to my parents at the end of every night.

I’m a baby when I’m sick and have the flu.

I’m a baby when my heart gets broken.

I’m a baby when I get surprised.

I’m still a baby when I get something new (even if it is lingerie).

I’m a baby when I’m scared.

I’m a baby when I’m alone.

I’m a baby when I’m watching cartoons.

I’m a baby when I’m hungry.

I’m a baby when I’m sad.

I’m a baby when I eat ice-cream.

I’m a baby when I want pop-corn.

I’m a baby when I’m with other babies.

I’m a baby when I’m terribly happy too.

I’m a woman at work.

I’m a woman at a fancy restaurant.

I’m a woman when I eat with chopsticks.

I’m a woman when I drink my wine.

I’m a woman when I order.

I’m a woman when I’m with my man.

I’m a woman in the conference room.

I’m a woman when I’m with my banker.

I’m a woman when I’m alone.

I’m a woman when I’m happy.

I’m a woman when I’m sad.

I’m a girl woman

I am.