Thursday, May 18, 2006

9 years and counting...

Nine years ago I caught a flight that would change my life forever

I never imagined that my parents would let me leave home and move to a 'foreign' country to live all by myself

But there I was all of 21 years old breathing air cleaner than I had ever breathed before

(I'm serious soon after landing I just stood there taking in the fresh air)

Perth, Western Australia was my new home











Not soon after I settled into the dorm, I watched someone trying to make 'khus khus chicken' for dinner

Thats the first time we spoke

We discussed the chicken the next night

That was the second time we spoke

She had beautiful red hair and was tall and thin

Me, I was uhm am short

We started hanging out - we went to the Perth zoo and hung out in the butterfly enclosure

Thats where she got her name - atleast the name I call her

We ate chicken from Coles on friday evenings and then caught the bus into town to party the night away

Globe Night Club was our regular hang out

She's play pool with the boys and often beat them to it

I'd stand and watch - my mouth gaping - wanting to learn too

That was way back in 1997

I've never forgotten how I asked her to pick me from the airport one night when I was on my way back from India

When I got there she released a sigh of relief

I wondered why

She said she messed up the dates and was waiting at the airport the night before and was terrified when I never came out and the gates closed

But there she was the next night, waiting

Waiting

Since then, both of us have left Perth

She now lives further away from me

But funilly I have seen her more often

She got married recently too

But its been 9 years since we started our friendship

And the Lord has been kind and blessed me with friends forever

And today is her birthday

And I know she will read this

And all I want to say is Thank God, You Made Khus Khus Chicken that night

Happy Birthday, Love You