Monday, August 28, 2006

Bitten by the travel bug

I love travelling

I honestly do

I love seeing new places, exploring new streets and cities, trying new restaurants and making new friends while meeting the old













Dipti and I work together and she happened to be in New York while I was there...

We caught up and walked around the streets of NY the whole day and even went to Soho for dinner at night

I ended up staying at the Marriott Marquise for a fabulous price in a newly renovated corner room

They have something called 'Smart elevators' which get you upto to the lobby level (situated on the 8th floor) or to your room in the shortest possible time

Basically the elevators have no numbers or buttons

You press the floor you want to go to on a centralised console outside the elevators and it tells you which elevator to go into (A-M) - Pretty smart eh













There are few things I love in life

Uhm not really, that was a lie

There are MANY things I love in life and expensive things just happen to be a few of them

So imagine my delight when I stand at a street corner with Tiffany on one end and Louis Vuitton on the other

I felt like a child in Disneyworld...













Thats Vin

Vin and I have been friends for a long time now

A trip to New York is never complete without Vin

After all he is the one that introduced me to NYC and showed me my way around Manhattan

Thats us at a rooftop bar where I saw a woman carrying the same handbag as I was

'fashion faux pas?'













Welcome to the 'Friendly Island' is what the flight attended said when we landed in St Martin

The four hour flight from Charlotte was not fun with all the screaming kids on board and the honeymooners on the other end

You know you're a misfit when the flight attendant actually wishes the honeymooners a great honeymoon on the loud speaker system

The most fun was landing there though

I had a window seat and suddenly I saw people on the beach stand up and start waving at us landing and we flew right over them and landed neatly on the airport a few feet away...

I laughed my guts out

As you know I can talk to a fly if I need to but I managed to make friends with one of the mothers on board - Nancy

At the end of the flight we exchanged email addresses and that was that

Reason I went to St Martin was to visit my friend who now LIVES on the island - yeah she is married and living on this piece of Paradise with her husband and 10 month old son

I fell in love with the island just driving back to my hotel - the colour of the water was 'Caribbean Blue' and I could literally hear Enya singing in my ear and see mermaids in the distant blue ocean

That night we went to dinner to 'Bamboo Bernies' in the Maho area - highly recommended for those who enjoy good sushi













I was told St Martin was a small island

Yet this heavenly island is divided into two countries - Netherlands and France

I guess its so gorgeous neither wants to give it up

Still, you know the world is a small place when while walking down the French side the next day I bumped into Nancy

Small world eh

My friend owns a quaint jewellary store on the island

And a few hours later I bumped into Nancy at the store back on the Dutch side

'Fate'?

While I was in the store I decided to try on one of their most expensive pieces

Ahh Where is my prince now?

Five days of eating drinking and taking in St Martin

I enjoyed the island thoroughly










I'm definitely going back but next time on a cruise ship

Anyone coming?