Thursday, August 10, 2006

Raksha Bandhan



A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams.
Author Unknown


Today is Raksha Badhan - a wonderful Indian occassion

It is the celebration of brothers and sisters

As per the traditions, the sister on this day worships the deities, ties Rakhi (a coloured thread) to her brother(s) and wishes for their well being

The brother in turn acknowledges the love with a promise to be by the sisters' side through the thick and thin and gives her a token gift

This is the day that still pulls the siblings together

The sisters tie that thread of love to their brothers amongst chanting of mantras, put rice on his forehead and pray for his well being. She bestows him with gifts and blessings

The brother also wishes her a good life and pledges to take care of her. He gives her a return gift. The gift is the physical acceptance of her love, reminder of their togetherness and a symbol of his pledge

I have not physically tied my brother a rakhi for many many years now

But the reason has only been that we live in different continents

I post one to him every year

But I would have loved to tie him a rakhi in person




Happy Raksha Bandhan Bhau (what I call my brother) - I do love you