Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Memorial service

In june this year, a 12 year old girl passed away - Neha Dadlani...

She lived in Nashville, TN and is part of my brother in law's family

She was on vacation in India with her family to meet her grandmother when within 72 hours she passed away with meningitis

Imagine the plight of the family to go on a vacation with two daughters and to come back with only one

I was in Bombay when this happened and I was amongst the first ones there to help with the last rites

Seeing the body of a child is not easy from any standards

This was a child that I played with every year when I came to Nashville

Since she passed away in the summer, the school decided to hold a memorial service for her this morning to allow the entire grade to grieve and remember her

I went for the service with my sister who is also part of the faculty at the same school

They put up a slide show with pictures of Neha and her friends

There were video clips of her from various school functions and trips

And there in the auditorium were her best friends

People made speeches

Everyone cried

I cried too

They say people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime

It seems so logical when you hear that

Makes no sense when you have to deal with death though

Especially the death of a child

Neha, if you can hear me - hear this...

You are loved and missed terribly